Generation Z, politics, Canadian perspective (from a Gen Z-er)

Gen Z is Frustrated with Older Generations

A recent article published in The New York Times by Emma Goldberg was titled “The 37-Year-Olds Are Afraid of the 23-Year-Olds Who Work for Them,” and when I had read the headline, I had laughed to myself and thought, good. They should be. Gen Z has become known as a generation to be feared and I am 100% here for that connotation. If older generations fearing us is how we can create change, then let’s use this momentum. If the fear will compel them to listen to what we have to say, all the better.

But the very fact that we now rely on the fear of older generations to accomplish new things, defines the frustration that Gen Z feels regarding all those older than us. In a conversation article from The New York Times, students discuss mental health, better work conditions, standing up to others, diversity, and new technology while connecting these topics to not feeling heard by older generations. Basically, they state the simple wishes of our generation and the problems we have with those older than us. What we want doesn’t seem like a lot to ask for, but our ideas are often deemed ‘radical’ and ‘unreasonable’. The changes we want are applicable to all, not just us; they would benefit everyone. For example, adjustments in views on mental health and diversity in the workplace would create an atmosphere of acceptance and understanding and improve workplace culture.

Why are we viewed as less, just because we’re younger? We just want to be acknowledged and understood; treated as equals, not ‘just kids’.